The Antarctic Trek for Mental Wellness is a fundraising event organized conjointly between adventurer Brian Jones and the Chalmers Foundation.
The fundraising initiative is a once in a lifetime opportunity to help and contribute financially to mental health initiatives in western and central New Brunswick.
Improving Mental Wellness is critical. To support this important initiative click the button below to donate today.
“HAPPINESS [is] ONLY REAL WHEN SHARED” — Jon Krakauer, Into the Wild
Brian Jones; philanthropist, adventurer, Investment Advisor with TD Wealth Private Investment Advice (TD Wealth) and dedicated family man to 13 year old River Lee and 15 year old Forest Rain; was born in Fredericton, NB where he proudly resides with his family.
It was in November of 2005, that Brian opened the TD Wealth Private Investment Advice office in Fredericton. He was named Branch Manager & Vice President upon joining TD Wealth. Brian then obtained the Portfolio Manager designation.
Since 2006, Brian has raised well over to $1,000,000 for local charities and organizations through his fundraising that directly touched all aspects of life including children, environment, autism, homelessness and the local foodbanks. The beneficiaries of his fundraising initiatives include South Devon School, City of Fredericton, Beaverbrook Art Gallery, Science East, CNIB, Fredericton Boys and Girls Club, Royal Roads Elementary, Gaia project and University of New Brunswick. His most recent fundraiser would have been in 2018 when he and his friend Steven Burns raised $132,000 for Liberty Lane.
Brian is one of the first New Brunswicker to make his way to the North Pole. Matching his fundraising initiatives with high adrenalin adventures, he has walked the Atacama Desert, Sahara Desert, Gobi Desert and climb Mount Kilimanjaro, all costs self-funded.
This December, Brian will add a new adventure to his resume when he takes on the South Pole. After 6 months of training and mental preparedness, he will be dropped of at the bottom of the earth for 2 weeks of skiing in Antarctica and will top off his trek by climbing Mount Vinson, part of the ‘Seven Summits’, which are comprised of the highest mountains on each of the seven continents of the Earth.
Brian hand picked the Chalmers Foundation as the beneficiaries of this new adventure and because of the numerous mental challenges he will have to face during such a trek, the Chalmers Foundation and Brian Jones are proud to say that all proceeds and donations received from this trek will be directly invested in local mental health initiatives to support New Brunswickers of all backgrounds.
“…make a radical change in your lifestyle and begin to boldly do things which you may previously never have thought of doing, or been too hesitant to attempt. So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservation, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man’s living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun. If you want to get more out of life, you must lose your inclination for monotonous security and adopt a helter-skelter style of life that will at first appear to you to be crazy. But once you become accustomed to such a life you will see its full meaning and its incredible beauty.” ― Jon Krakauer, Into the Wild
TD Wealth Private Investment Advice is a division of TD Waterhouse Canada Inc., a subsidiary of The Toronto-Dominion Bank. All trademarks are the property of their respective owners. ® The TD logo and other trade-marks are the property of The Toronto-Dominion Bank.
About the Chalmers Foundation
- The Foundation was established in 1983 by a group of dedicated volunteers.
- The Chalmers Foundation coordinates the support given by the community to meet the needs of the Chalmers Regional Hospital and patients it serves in order to improve the quality of health care in our community.
- Through this cooperative, the Foundation provides not just Horizon’s Dr. Everett Chalmers Regional Hospital but other healthcare facilities around the Upper River Valley area, with equipment, education and special treatment programs.
- Meeting the needs of our patients is the primary goal of the Regional Hospital and the Foundation.
- We have an expert, caring staff who raise funds to work to ensure our hospital is equipped with the best technology and knowledge available. The hospital caregivers work very hard on behalf of patients and their families, and the Foundation’s task is to give them the tools they need to do their job well.
- By providing the hospital with equipment, education and special treatment programs, the money invested enhances patient care, enriches services and improves the overall quality of healthcare in our community.
- Past projects have included the establishment of a new cardiac diagnostics unit, the purchase of new monitors for the emergency room, the critical updating of equipment in the gastrointestinal lab and the renovation of the Pediatrics Unit.